Speechifyin'

I've been a public speaker for a long time now. While I've become perhaps a bit more reserved in my casual speech over the past dozen or fifteen years, I'm still apt to ham it up given an audience. I had gone many a year without a regular outlet for speaking until I joined Toastmasters here at First American. I'm an odd duck there, not attending to curry any favor, learn any leadership skills or gain confidence. I just needed an audience, and they all seem quite happy to listen. My only qualms are that there is so much "meeting" nonsense surrounding the "speaking" and that the types of speaking feel limited. I don't often fancy the spur-of-the-moment Table Topics, and the prepared speeches have so many conditions on them. The first ten follow a manual, and coming up with a speech that meets the requirements of each objective is bothersome. I'd much rather get a topic than a template. Such is my annoyance with this system that I've only given seven of the ten in the past three years.

The latest one requires a visual aide. I'm loathe to use Power Point, as I think it rots the brain. I had considered doing something with GPS and Geocaching, but reception in the building is nil. Astronomy might be interesting, but despite the pretty pictures, I think I'd put folks to sleep. Something more unusual, that stretches the concept of a visual aide would be great. Dancing or acrobatics are right out, as I'd like to avoid anyone getting crushed and/or dying from laughter. I'm thinking of doing some giant origami, with follow-along paper at each seat. Of course, that requires I learn some origami.

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Man vs The Invisible Man, by Drew Edwards and Sergio Calvet

A Year on the Strida Evo 3

Halloween Man: Hallowtide, by Drew Edwards and Lucio Inzunza