Man Without Hat

When I was young, before the idea of college, any real science, or even geography had appeared on the horizon, I wanted a job with a cool hat. In a way, I suppose, this was a symptom or manifestation of the general tenor of my early childhood. Aside from the cartoons I watched and underoos I wore, I could very well have been a 4 or 5 year old at any point in the previous 30 or so years, what with the stay-at-home mom and small town environment. In that era, it seems there were more jobs requiring hats.

Flash forward a few decades, and hats are by and large gone. I wear one when I can get away with it, but it serves no functional purpose other than keeping the sun off my shaved pate, and does noting to identify me beyond branding me as a guy who likes to wear hats. With professional hats, it seems, have gone simple job descriptions, though. A colleague of mine aspires to be a fireman firefighter; I suspect he just wants a job that's easy to explain.

What is it that I do? You know, for a living? Everyone in my department understands. many people in the company do, too. I suspect that elsewhere in the industry there are some that get it. It's not too hard to explain to those in related fields. My parents, I think, almost know. Other family and friends have some vague notion. My grandparents are pretty much a lost cause, though. It needs a name, though, one better than "Data Analyst," as well as, I think, a hat. I favor Dataherd for the name. I manage database data, telling it where to go and what to do by the thousands and hundred of thousands of records. I have helpful programs, like sheepdogs, that corral troublesome bits, and take care of the details that I can't deal with efficiently by myself.

As for a natty chapeau, I'm told my great-grandfather was a shepherd in Italy before coming to the US; I'm not sure what sort of hat was involved there, but this being Texas, I'm thinking cowboy hat.

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Man vs The Invisible Man, by Drew Edwards and Sergio Calvet

A Year on the Strida Evo 3

Lucy Chaplin: Science Starlet, by Drew Edwards, April Guadiana, Evan Quiring, and Paul Tuma